CALLING STUDENTS IN GRADES 5-8!
Over $3,000 in prizes to give away!
Are you ready to learn about the exciting world of polymers, and stretch your imagination? Are you prepared to get hands-on with a polymer that has some truly unique and amazing properties?
Awesome, because it’s time for the 13th annual Rubber Band Contest for Young Inventors, hosted by the Akron Global Polymer Academy — an outreach division of the School of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron!
Join the fun and get ready to learn about the rubber band – one of the many amazing inventions created from a unique class of materials known as polymers! This educational contest was designed to give students a new opportunity to have fun learning about Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. Each year students from across the nation come up with new ways of using rubber band(s) to create amazing inventions, games, artworks, and more!
Remember the deadline to enter the 13th annual contest is March 12, 2021. Your entry must be post-marked by then!
- To design and create a working invention/artwork that incorporates at least one (1) rubber band.
TWO SEPARATE DIVISIONS:
OVER $3,000 IN PRIZES:
- The first place winner in each division will receive $300.
- The runner-up in each division will receive $150.
- The four remaining finalists in each division (who are not a first place winner or runner-up) will receive $75.
- Schools can earn cash donations too! The top eight schools with the most student entries will each receive an equal donation shared from a donation pool of $1,600*. (*The donation pool will be divided equally by the total number of schools in the top eight including any schools that are tied for spots in the top eight. In-eligible entries do not count towards school awards.)
OUR CONTEST LESSON PLAN MAKES IT EASIER: standard aligned and easy to integrate with your curriculum
- Alignment with multiple standards:
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Common Core Standards
- National Standards (Grades 5-8)
- Ohio Academic Content Standards for Science
- Ohio Revised Science Education Standards and Model Curriculum
- Learn more about the Rubber Band Contest Lesson Plan
A few past winners and runners-up talk about their experiences with the contest, as well as tell us some of the story behind their prize-winning entries. Check back for new videos from last year’s award winners that will be added soon!