ARTS & LEISURE DIVISION: (alphabetical order)
- Paige Alaishuski – Grade 7 – Audubon, PA – Rubber Band Guitar
- Kyson Bauman – Grade 6 – Ankeny, IA – Shuffle Golf
- Kailee Pasenow – Grade 6 – North Ridgeville, OH – The Stop Bullying Sign
- Samantha Reilly – Grade 8 – Bluffton, SC – Apollo 11 Moon Landing: A Day to Remember
- Sophie Shadwick – Grade 7 – Ankeny, IA – Sea of Waste
- Grant Whyne – Grade 6 – Mechanicsburg, PA – The Rubber Band Staircase
SCIENCE & ENGINEERING DIVISION: (alphabetical order)
- Meg Kojima – Grade 8 – Medina, OH – The Rist Rest
- Hutton Krieger – Grade 8 – Rootstown, OH – Charlie the Can Crusher
- Olivia Kroska – Grade 6 – Ankeny, IA – Soccer Kick
- Gary Leschinsky – Grade 5 – Mahwah, NJ – The Tremor Assist Brace
- Mark Leschinsky – Grade 7 – Mahwah, NJ – The Fire Eye
- Mark Oyster – Grade 8 – Ravenna, OH – The Elastic Reacher
CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK to this year’s finalists! And remember, the top-8 schools with the most entries will each win $200.
NOTE: Each finalist must ship or drop-off their invention so that they arrive at the Akron Global Polymer Academy by May 10, 2019. AGPA will contact each finalist with shipping instructions. Once the inventions are received, the final round of judging will occur and the final results will be announced May 29, 2019 on this website! We will also announce the Top-8 Schools with the most entries as that time.
Congratulations to each student that entered this year’s contest. Thank you for your hard work and for sharing your creativity with us. Ultimately, we hope that the contest has provided a fun way to explore STEAM concepts and enjoy hands-on learning. Thank you to all of the teachers, mentors, and parents who helped encourage and support the students!
ABOUT THE CONTEST
Are you ready to learn about the exciting world of polymers, and stretch your imagination? Are you prepared to get hands on with a polymer that has some truly unique and amazing properties?
Awesome, because it’s time for the 11th annual Rubber Band Contest for Young Inventors, hosted by the Akron Global Polymer Academy — an outreach division of the College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron!
Join the fun and get ready to learn about the rubber band – one of the many amazing inventions created from a unique class of materials known as polymers! This educational contest was designed to give students a new opportunity to have fun learning about Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. Each year students from across the nation come up with new ways of using rubber band(s) to create amazing inventions, games, artworks, and more!
- To design and create a working invention/artwork that incorporates at least one (1) rubber band.
TWO SEPARATE DIVISIONS:
OVER $5000 IN PRIZES:
- The first place winner in each division will receive $600.
- The runner-up in each division will receive $300.
- The four remaining finalists in each division (who are not a first place winner or runner-up) will receive $150.
- Schools can earn cash donations too! The top 8 schools with the most entries will each receive a $200 donation.
OUR CONTEST LESSON PLAN MAKES IT EASIER: standard aligned and easy to integrate with your curriculum
- Alignment with multiple standards:
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Common Core Standards
- National Standards (Grades 5-8)
- Ohio Academic Content Standards for Science
- Ohio Revised Science Education Standards and Model Curriculum
- Learn more about the Rubber Band Contest Lesson Plan
A few past winners and runners-up talk about their experiences with the contest, as well as tell us some of the story behind their prize-winning entries.