CALLING STUDENTS IN GRADES 5-8!
Over $5,000 in prizes to give away!
Are you ready to learn about the exciting world of polymers, and stretch your imagination by getting hands-on with a polymer that has some truly unique and amazing properties?
It’s time for the 10th annual Rubber Band Contest for Young Inventors, hosted by the Akron Global Polymer Academy — an outreach division of the College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron!
Join the fun and get ready to learn about the rubber band – one of the many amazing inventions created from a truly unique class of materials known as polymers! This educational contest was designed to give students a new opportunity to have fun learning about Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. Each year students from across the nation come up with new ways of using rubber band(s) to create amazing inventions, games, artworks, and more!
Remember the deadline to enter is March 2, 2018. Have your entries post-marked by then!
- To design and create a working invention/artwork that incorporates at least one (1) rubber band.
TWO SEPARATE DIVISIONS:
OVER $5000 IN PRIZES:
- The first place winner in each division will receive $600.
- The runner-up in each division will receive $300.
- The four remaining finalists in each division (who are not a first place winner or runner-up) will receive $150.
- Even more schools can win $$$ this year: The top 8 schools with the most entries will each receive a $200 donation.
CONTEST LESSON PLAN: standard aligned and easy to integrate with your curriculum
- Alignment with multiple standards:
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Common Core Standards
- National Standards (Grades 5-8)
- Ohio Academic Content Standards for Science
- Ohio Revised Science Education Standards and Model Curriculum
- Learn more about the Rubber Band Contest Lesson Plan
A few past winners and runners-up talk about their experiences with the contest, as well as tell us some of the story behind their prize-winning entries.